Sunday, April 15, 2012

Lunches

What do we do for lunches?

Well, we all do different things.

Charlie: he is fed by whichever grandparent he is with. I make sure there is food in the house, but they often bring their own or take him to their home to eat. I'm not sure what he eats, but I am 85% sure they do feed him. I've seen evidence of things like leftover chicken, egg salad sandwich, brown beans, crackers, tuna, etc.

Matt: he mostly takes whatever is in the house. He will take leftovers (but wont eat leftover cold chicken). We will stock the freezer with frozen entrees (like Lean Cuisine) or burritos (which are seriously unhealthy). He may also take a can of ready-to-eat soup or brown beans. He also takes some fruit, granola bars, and other snacks (such as an entire bag of Crispy Minis every day) to make it though the day.

Kyla: I almost exclusively buy my lunch at school. We have a program that trains students to be chefs, and it is run by a woman who is an amazing chef herself, so it is so hard to pass up. All entrees are $5.50. Sometimes I will pick up something that is like a sandwich with chips or salad (and the Caesar is great), but they make some really high quality things. In the last little while I have had:

  • roast chicken with zucchini and turnips
  • chicken with mole sauce over rice
  • fresh made fettucini in cream sauce with scallops and olive bread
There have been other delicious things, and once in a while something not so great (rare), but off the top of my head, the food is fantastic. I don't usually buy my lunch on Friday, as I work funny hours and our lunch is at a strange time. That day is my indulge day where I get Timmy's: breakfast biscuit and tea. This week, I did that on Tuesday, which led to disappointment as one of the choices in the cafeteria was one of my favorite things: Greek salad and calamari!  Oh well...

I know we are spending too much money on lunch. I am spending about $28 a week. My friend Julia who has also taken to meal planning spends $80 on average per week ON ALL MEALS. We are not nearly there. I know we could save more if I didn't buy my lunch, but it is so difficult when I can get a balances meal without heaving to plan ahead, served hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment