Sunday, April 15, 2012

De Dutch

Coupons, coupons, coupons. I love couuons! Especially the ones that come free in the mail.

Awesome highchair
So, we received coupons for De Dutch in the mail, and decided to revisit this place we have not ate at since university. They used to have coupons in the Entertainment Guide, then those were only good at another location, then that one closed, etc, etc. We haven't been to a DD in six or so years.

They were very child friendly. GREAT highchairs. GREAT kid's menu with prices starting at $4.75--much more reasonable than other places. Charlie isn't big enough to need his own meal yet, but I will keep this in mind.

As for the regular menu, it is a bit pricey. I realize that it has been 6 years, but I do not remember it being this expensive (without the coupon our bill probably would have been $40).  A side of syrup for $4? Really? I'll pass on that.

I also find the menu very confusing. I wasn't sure exactly what I was ordering, so I ordered one that had an illustration. There was this giant section on the bottom where the pannekoken seemed very inexpensive, but I wasn't sure if you were just ordering the toppings or what. I guess I could have asked, but, meh.

Another check in the positive: it was ridiculously quick. Like, 5 minutes, no more than 10, quick. That was great. It left us very little time to repeat "Don't eat the crayons."

The food was also hot and tasty. Matt had the "Canadian" or something like that: eggs, back bacon, tomato, and maple syrup. By the time I remembered to take pictures, the toppings were all gone so I didn't bother. I, personally, don't like back bacon, and it is too difficult to chew for Charlie, but Matt likes it. I did not go in the savory directions. I ordered the "Peach Melba": whipped cream, raspberries, and peaches. I find that when anything comes with whip, it is WAY too much, and that was true here. Charlie ate a huge portion of it, so it worked out. I didn't realize there would be table syrup though. If I had, that may have swayed my choice towards a savory.

My pannekoken (sp?) was yummy. It is like a crepe. I ate most of my fruit before I took a picture though, so I must apologize.

I love breakfast. I would rather go for breakfast than any other meal of the day. I am finding it very over-priced though. For years we would get breakfast at this place called Tino's. It was 2 for 1. And I understand why: breakfast food is cheap. I'm not sure why there is such a big mark up on breakfast, but if any one knows a good place that is inexpensive (bonus if they make a great Benny), you must tell me.

I'm going to give De Dutch a tentative "I like it" on Urbanspoon. I do like the staff, atmosphere, and food, but it doesn't mean I will be back.




De Dutch Pannekoek House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment