Monday, April 2, 2012

Tacos and Pears, but not Together

Cost: $9

Prep: 15 minutes

Tonight I made tacos for the main, caramelized pears as the follower.

The tacos were simply from a kit. I melted a bit of cheese in the shells. I love the "salsa" that is in the kit; it is like the Lizzano sauce my mom brought back from Costa Rica. We tried to add some health by using fat free sour cream. Matt added a ton of greens, but I just can't stand them right now, so I added a whole tomato.

We like to let Charlie explore food. I think it is a healthy part of his development and learning to eat. I like for him to feed himself as much as possible. It bothers me when Matt tries to feed Charlie when Charlie is already eating. Let the boy eat! As long as he is trying different things, I think he is okay. He eats iron fortified cereal with apple sauce for breakfast, poops practically on cue, and drinks an appropriate amount of milk, so I figure he is fine with whatever he decides to eat off his tray.

Now, sometimes, there have been food disasters. Take soup. That caused a huge mess, as does when he gets a small cup of milk (and generally decides to throw it over his shoulder). Tonight can go in this category.

I usually break up his food.

Tonight, I decided that it was a fine idea to give him a whole taco. Oops. This was a HUGE mess. The first thing he did was drop the entire taco (ground beef, salsa, veggies, sour cream) in his lap. Urg. Luckily, we pulled it back up, and aside from the mess in his lap, he disassembled his taco and ate a fair bit.
"What do I do with this?"
"Oooooo."
The end result

Matt and I wanted a sweet finish, so I reduced the juice of a can of pears with some cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of brown sugar. It isn't exactly "caramelized", but it is a nice sweet that we all enjoy.

Cooking
Ready for eating



No comments:

Post a Comment