Friday, March 9, 2012

The Keg

It was really an accident that we ended up here. Truly. It was. Really...well, sort of.

We had a 1/2 used up gift card, and we also forgot to take our pork chops out of the freezer today, so we decided to go out ONE more time.

I am often disappointed with the Keg. The last two times have been especially bad. It is never the food, but the timing of the kitchen. We go to the Keg for a nice, multi-course dinner. The last two times we were there, we had our first three courses plus bread on our table within 5 minutes. This left us trying to scarf down the appetizer, while watching our salads as our steaks cooled. I think this is an inexcusable sin of nicer dining establishments. Maybe I have some false beliefs about the Keg left over from my childhood; it used to be a fancy place. Now, I even saw people in sweats.

BUT hold the phone! Tonight, the Keg fixed their problem with timing. Our meal was timed perfectly. We did not wait too long between courses, maybe a few minutes, and no courses arrived at the same time.

Of course we started with a nice loaf of bread. I love how it is warm, but it is no longer served in a basket wrapped up in a cloth napkin, so it didn't stay warm as long. I am not a fan of the butter they use, but that is probably for the better anyways. Charlie loved the bread. He ate a TON. Actually, he ate so much that we asked for a second loaf for him, and the staff was very quick and accommodating in this request. Actually, the staff we encountered were very accommodating for the baby. I did not think of the Keg as such a family friendly place, but it really is. They have kid's menus, crayons, lots of high chairs, etc, etc.

We did not intend to order from the Dine Around menu, but it really is a good price, so we couldn't refuse. (We both normally order the Teriyaki Classic with the spinach salad instead of the Caesar), which is about $26).  We went with the $30 menu, but there was steak and lobster on the $40--very tempting and, from what I saw on the tables around us, was a huge portion.

Instead of a salad, we both had the Baked Garlic Shrimp. This was a much better idea than a salad, not for nutrition, but for how full we were at the end. I have never finished my meal, until tonight that is. I am sure it was because of the smaller appy. We have had the garlic shrimp before, and I am not the biggest fan, but Matt is and, honestly, I just ordered it because it was the most expensive on the regular menu...It is tasty, but I am glad we didn't spend $8.95 on it. I do like the new addition of the little buns with it for soaking up the butter. Charlie was in love with the cheese on top.

For our mains, we both had the Pecan Top Sirloin with twice-baked potato. The steak has goat cheese and pecans on top, which was a nice addition. I loved those additions, even though C ate almost all my cheese. The twice-baked potato was very tasty, but the veggies left a little to be desired. The red pepper was well cooked, but the asparagus was under cooked and too tough at the bottom (needed more trimming). I also was NOT a fan of the garlic/wine au jus that was served with it--the last time we had our usual there was a gross sauce with it too. I'm not sure what the sauce was for, but the food was good enough that it really didn't need it.

For desert, we shared the the creme brule and cheesecake. Both were tasty. The creme brule was HUGE, the biggest serving I have ever seen. The cheesecake was interesting, but different. It was very soft and creamy, maybe too much so. I really enjoyed their cherry-pie filing though.

We left the Keg very satisfied. It was a good dining experience for our family, especially with a bill totaling only $67 + tip (and then our gift card paid for most of that). The service was good, the food was tasty, the timing was great, and the ambiance was warm. We will be going back for sure (which was not my sentiment the last time we went). It was a leisurely dinner, and I am stuffed.






The Keg Steakhouse & Bar - Saanich on Urbanspoon

1 comment: