Monday, March 26, 2012

Salt-fest 2012

Cost: $8 + dessert (about $3.70)

Prep: 15 minutes

Tonight's dinner was not our high point. In fact, it was a lot like the dinners that Matt and I would eat pre-Charlie. We ate many sausages, mainly because they are quick, easy, and cheap. We also ate a lot of instant potatoes.

And tonight, that is exactly what we had.

We had sausages from Walmart, $4 a package, turkey variety. Honestly, the sausages were very tasty, but very salty. I also had an instant of almost losing a tooth from biting into a piece of bone and many times when I had to pull gristle from my mouth. Otherwise, the sausages were good, but now that I am reading what I wrote, maybe we wont buy these again.

As the side dish, I made a Sidekick, instant mashed potatoes with instant gravy, Rich Beef flavour. Both of these are high in salt, but man oh man, are these delicious. This is one of our comfort foods, and interestingly enough, one of the things I could not stand when I was pregnant with Charlie. I know it is unhealthy because of the salt, but I did drink 1.4L of water with dinner to try to deal with this. I also had fully intended to lie on here and claim I had made mashed potatoes, but the only person I would really be lying to is myself.

We also tried to go healthy on side dish two: steamed veggies, broccoli and green beans, but our third side dish was also not the greatest: one of those 1/2 baked loafs of bread that you finish baking. Our baby loves carbs, and I thought this would be a bit better for him than the mashed potatoes.

After Charlie went to bed, Matt and I also indulged in dessert. On Friday, we stopped at the Marble Slab to use a Groupon we had purchased. The Groupon was $10 for a $20 credit. When we walked in, we realized how difficult it was going to be to try to spend $20 on ice cream for two, especially when I really didn't want to eat it then. So, instead, we spent the entire credit on a box of ice cream cupcakes (6). We ate 2 that day, but there were still 4 in our enormously packed freezer. So, Matt and I each had one. Mine was Turtles, and Matt's was Double Chocolate. The ice cream was nice, but whatever weird frozen icing was on the top is gross. The waffle bowl is very tasty though.

Double Chocolate
Turtles, minus 1 bite

Anyway, we are full now. We will see if Matt can control his grazing tonight.




1 comment:

  1. they sell turkey sausages at the Red Barn Market that are absolutely delish and really good quality... my fav is the herb and sage, but they also have sundried tomatoe, and chorizo among others.

    ReplyDelete