Friday, July 6, 2012

Canada Day Turkey Burgers


Happy Canada Day!

We had a completely awesome, perfect day today. It left me barely able to move by 3PM, but I enjoyed myself immensley.

We left for the day at 8:40AM, in a rush trying to make it for the start of the bike parade on the Gorge. We were a little behind, so Matt took Charlie on his decked out bike to catch up while I waddled behind, and caught up quite a ways later.

At one point, I told Matt I couldn't keep up. Matt responded that I should take bigger steps. I told Matt that if I took bigger steps, this baby would fall out. But I managed. I did. It was fine.

We intended to get the pancake breakfast at the Craigflower end, but when we got there, the line was SO long. So instead Charlie played with his friend Ainsley and then his cousins Mike, Emma, and Keira while waiting for his best buddy Steele to show up.
Chuck and Ainz of their decked out bikes

At about 10:30, we left the Craigflower side and began our walk. We reached Gorge at about 1PM because there was a lot to see, do, and eat.

The first food stop was to see Carlos at Don Carlos Tamales. Matt has literally been looking forward to this all year. We ordered 2: chicken and veggie. I was supposed to only eat 1/2 the chicken one, but I didn't care for the veggie one, as it tasted like mashed potatoes to me, so I ate the entire chicken one. These are the best tamales I have ever had. Seriously. These are as good, if not better than anything we have ever managed to get in Mexico. And Carlos and his wife, also a teacher, are simply good people. If you see this stand, check it out. Eat here. I think he is usually at the Moss Street market.

Tamales Don Carlo on Urbanspoon

Out next food stop was to share a sweet potato tornado. I am not sure who the vendors were who were serving these as well as langos, but it was a treat!

Then, we stopped for some fruitsicles. It turns out we are beyond the stage of not being able to give Charlie his own treat. He ended up stealing mine, as we all ended up sharing. I had the pineapple/coconut, and Matt had the lime/cream. These were more like a popsicle than the deliciousness at Fruition, which had a much nicer texture.

Look how impressed he is to share MY popsicle with me

The next food stop was Spaghetaboutit (spelling?). It was like Italian/diner food. We had the crispy gnocchi to start. Very good. Matt liked the sauce, but I thought it tasted like Chef Boyardee, which, coincidentally, is what Matt's Italian grandmother called all jarred sauces.

We also had a deep fried Mars bar here. It was pretty much the best thing I have ever eaten in my entire life.

The last stop was to buy a couple of buns for dinner at Fairways on the way home, but we finished off our 3 hour lunch with a big pint of raspberries on the way home.

Charlie was a really good boy, especially considering he was on his bike almost the entire time, missed his morning nap, and was out of the house from 8:40AM-1:30PM. When we got home, Charlie had a nap from about 2PM-4PM. I basically didn't move the entire time.

Then, dinner was upon us. Luckily for us, we ate the (now cold) tortellini Matt had made for him and Charlie while I was partying the night before. It made a nice pasta salad of sorts and contained peppers and chicken. He also cooked a few turkey burgers (2 for him, 1 for me, 1 for Charlie) on the grill, and I prepared the buns and vegetables (onion, lettuce, pickles). It was a light, easy dinner on a hot day when we were exhausted.

We finished it off with cherries, 1 that looked like testicles, and 1 that looked like a butt (it rolled in the photo). Charlie finished his dinner off with his favorite snack food: roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds.










No comments:

Post a Comment