Saturday, February 18, 2012

Dine Around Town Victoria: James Bay Inn

Date Night! We have been saving up our time, favors, and money to fully enjoy Victoria's Dine Around Town. Last year, we went out at least 3 times during the month, 2 of which we were not impressed with.

So, this year, we came up with a system to select our ventures. The first place we wanted to try was the JBI Pub, a place we figured out we hadn't been to in 7 years.

The babysitters came on time, and we went for an early dinner. That being said, I'm glad we had a reservation (pub + Friday night = drinkers drinking...and drinking...and yelling...and being generally sketchy...)

Anyway, back to the important part: the food. I apologize in advance for the dark pictures. I'm not even sure there is a point in posting them, but whatever, it's done.

I started with the coconut curry mussels. There were 8 and the brother it was in was good good, it was hard not to drink. Matt had the halibut tacos, and these were okay, but the halibut was a but dry--but at least it was plentiful. There are no pictures of this as we devoured it.

For our mains, my choice was the winner. I had the sole stuffed with spinach, feta, and shrimp served on a bed of rice pilaf with lobster infused hollandaise. Matt had the braised short ribs served with stupidly good red-skin mashed potatoes. Both entrees were served with interesting vegtetables: green beans, yellow beet, anise, parsnip, and squash. We both appreciated the change from the usual broc-cauli-carrot mix you almost always see.

For the finale, I had the mini cheesecake. It was small, but the name told me it would be. It had a nice blackberry compote. Matt's dessert was not something I care for: bread pudding with berries in it. He liked it, but I thought it was gross, as I always do with this.

We left with full bellies, not uncomfortable, but satisfied. And for around $50, tip included (the waitress was very efficient), for a 3 course meal, it was a good value.



JBI Pub on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment