Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cheap Chicken Lunch Fo Dayz Yo

We are working on being better with meals other than dinner. It is difficult for me especially, as my schedule changes day to day and we have a FANTASTIC cafeteria (like, truly fantastic--steak, scalloped potato, and cauliflower for $5.50 fantastic).

We picked up a rotisserie chicken yesterday that was marked down. We buy marked down meat all the time, either to use immediately or freeze. It saves a significant amount of money. The only problem from this, historically, has been that a portion of this either spoils or is forgotten about.

Regardless, we bought this rotisserie chicken. Those cold chickens are fairly small, but look how much meat you can get off one. (That was minus 1 leg, and I don't bother with the wings; it just isn't worth my time.)

That meat made 6 sandwiches (5 pictured, but there was just so much more, we added a whole sandwich and stuffed the rest). We probably could have made 8 nice sized ones.

Eight sandwiches and the protein only costing $5.50?! That is a great price point. Deli meat, even at its best sale price, cannot compare, especially not when comparing nutrition. We generally only buy the "natural" meat, but now are hearing that it is not any better than the old nitrate loaded variety. Using REAL unprocessed meats is more comfortable for me. I don't want to feed my family crap.

You could make chicken salad with this; Matt was disappointed that I didn't. I prefer to take bread, lightly mayo both pieces, add a touch of salt and pepper, and put finely chopped chicken in the middle. I think it really saves on calories to not make traditional mayonnaise-loaded chicken salad.


So, we made lunch for today and tomorrow for the three of us (Charlie only gets 1/2 a sandwich per meal) and a sandwich for the grandparent tomorrow. Add in the minimal cost of mayo, salt, pepper, and bread (we like the cheap white crap, sue me, I'm a hypocrite), and it is still under $7 for 7 lunch entrees.


I love these sandwiches. My mom would send me to school with this as a kid if there was left over chicken. It is so simple and easy. The taste is clean, and the calories are low.


No comments:

Post a Comment